Sunday, April 14, 2013

Testimony

Well today was fast and testimony meeting and I wanted to get up and bear my testimony, but my body wouldn't let me. I get extremely nervous getting up in front of people so it is a rare occasion for me to actually get up there and do it. I basically have to be completely bursting with the spirit to make my self stand up. I know once I get myself standing I will move, but that standing part, it kills me. So today I thought I could at least say the things I wanted to say on here. I don't think many people read this, but that's okay. I think it's good to get things out one way or another and hopefully one day I will become more brave. Most fast and testimony meetings I bare my testimony in my head of all the things I would say if I were to get up.So these were my thoughts I had today and bits of what I know to be true.

I lost my keys a few weeks ago and I wasn't too worried about it at first. We have a few spare keys and so I figured my set would just turn up eventually. Well spring break passes and I let even another week go by before I begin to wonder where my keys went. I assumed by cleaning and doing laundry I would find them, but I didn't. So last week I decided it was time to start really looking for them and it was kind of stressing me out. I looked everywhere normal and weird - in jacket pockets, pants, cupboards, the fridge, etc. I couldn't find them. I know it shouldn't have been that big of deal, but I really wanted to find them. Finally I had the thought to say a prayer. I asked for help to find my keys . I stopped stressing about it and knew that in due time I would find them. Yesterday I decided to clean our bedroom a little bit more and hoped the keys would turn up in there somewhere. I kept thinking they had to be in my jackets or pants, but they weren't. I got the thought to look in our shoes, because they are underneath the clothes hanging in our closest...but before that I decided to look through some of Matt's clothes just in case. I moved a pair of his Church pants and I heard a jingle. I reached into its pocket and found my keys! I was super excited to have found them and woke Matt up from his nap and told him he was the one who lost my keys. ha ha I kind of gloated because he always thinks I'm the one who loses everything, which is true a lot of the time, but not this time. Anyhow, maybe not the best thing to have done right after I found them, but I soon said a prayer of thanks because I knew I was helped to know where to look. I know this is a simple thing and practically everyone has had this same type of experience happen to them, but it felt good to know that my Father in Heaven was still helping me out and even with such a small of a thing. It just reminded me that I am his child and he is there for me at all times and in all things. I know that our Heavenly Father listens to our prayers and he truly does answer them in his time. I knew I probably wouldn't find my keys the day I prayed, but I did know I would find them eventually. I am grateful for the power of prayer.

Some other thoughts I had were brought on by General Conference and my family's Jesus Dinner. During this time of the year I think about where I am at and what I'm doing and what I should be doing better. Each year in April I think of a gift I want to give to my Savior - something I am going to work on through out the year (we do this at our dinner and write the gifts down on a piece of paper and seal them in an envelope) . I didn't do all that well with my last years gift. I wasn't too happy with myself to tell you the truth. I feel as if I've been in a bit of  rut. I haven't been doing anything necessarily bad, but I haven't been doing all that I should. So I guess I decided it was time for change and luckily both Conference and this dinner happened on the same day. I don't have a specific talk that stands out, a lot of them were amazing and helpful, but just the whole idea of General Conference helps me want to change. A scripture did come to mind that I think encompasses all the conference talks and all that I should be doing. In all reality it is quite simple what we need to do, but since we aren't perfect it's hard. The scripture I am thinking of basically says that Jesus went about doing good (not quite sure of the of the actual reference). I feel like that's what everything is all about. That is what I should be doing as a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. I should be going about doing good. There isn't time for me to sit back and not do bad things or in other words do nothing. I belong to a Church that does good things. I should be reading my scriptures, praying more often, serving all those around me, being a missionary, going to the temple, and everything else that is good. So I guess that is my knew motto for the year: Go about doing good. Or  Be Good - Do Good.

I know that this Church is true - other wise I am not sure that I would care to be good or to keep trying or want to change. I know that my Savior lives and loves me. He is my friend and I want to be like Him. I know I am a daughter of God and I am important and I have a purpose. At times it's hard to know what my purpose is, but I think if I go about doing good I will figure it out. I know that the Holy Ghost can guide us daily if we allow Him in our lives and in our hearts. I know that our Prophet, Pres. Thomas S. Monson is truly our prophet at this time and he is lead by our Father in Heaven. I know the Book of Mormon is true and can help us through our trials and gives us answers to our questions.

I know that I am happy when I do good things. I know that I am not when I don't.




6 comments:

  1. So good, thanks for sharing Kate! I, too, am in a whirlwind of thinking of change. General Conference will do it to ya! So glad we get it every 6 months. Love You!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and in my case we had stake conference this weekend as well and man was a lot of good said there as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awwww... precious! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing that story... God is in the little details of our lives and it is amazing. Way to keep working on being better! We all need to reflect on how we can do better from time to time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kate!! Thanks so much for sharing your testimony. I love it! Going about doing good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yep, Heavenly Father knows and loves my baby Kate:) I'm trying to be a bit better myself. I was in a rut too the temple and bit better scripture study has helped a ton. PS: I found an old gift to Jesus from 2006 and it was the same as the one I did this year- I don't think I did well with it in 2006 and am not doing much better now perhaps I should change my goal - maybe I just need to face the fact that I'm not a morning person :)

    ReplyDelete